Le corbusier larchitecture contemporaine - Fondation Le Corbusier
“Le Corbusier was “the most important architect of the 20th century”, and also painted a bit besides that. But that image is turning around, as shown in the Cobra Museum.”
1. Bayley, Stephen. “Our List of the 20 Designs That Defined the Modern World.” CNN , Cable News Network, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., 2017.
2. “Pavillon De L'Esprit Nouveau, Paris, France, 1924.” Foundation Le Corbusier , Foundation Le Corbusier.
Le Corbusier's ideas weren't all so great. Critics (like Jane Jacobs ) argue that his vision for urban life was destructive to the city, alienating people from one another, and elevating the car over the human. He was on the fascist end of the political spectrum for a while, at one point working for Mussolini. And for decades, he tried (and thankfully failed) to get Paris to raze the Marais neighborhood and build one of his city plans (like image 3). Contemporary designers seem less driven by Le Corbusier's modernist idea that "all men have the same needs," and more into the postmodern concept that everyone has different wants.
The graphic representation of the Modulor, a stylised human figure with one arm raised, stands next to two vertical measurements, a red series based on the figure's navel height ( m in the original version, m in the revised version) then segmented according to Phi , and a blue series based on the figure's entire height, double the navel height ( m in the original version, m in the revised), segmented similarly. A spiral , graphically developed between the red and blue segments, seems to mimic the volume of the human figure.
Here's a close-up showing the green spaces between buildings, with hints of ground-level commerce and transportation access:
- Eugene Chadbourne Volume Two Solo Acoustic Guitar
- The Apollas Seven Days
- Grand Master Flash The Furious Five New York New York
- Various Folk Music Of Liberia
- Dyke The Blazers Funky Walk
- Frantix My Dads A Fuckin Alcoholic
- Alojz Bouda Synthesizer Sound
- Power Records A Story Of DraculaWolfman And Frankenstein
- Marjorie Ingram A Good Man Is Hard To Find I Have No Right To Love You
- Randy Newman Little Criminals
- Level 42 The Early Tapes JulyAug 1980
- Storyteller Mystery Girl
- Tower Of Power What Is Hip Clever Girl
- Stranger Cole And Patsy Why Did You Do You Remember
- Bob Marley The Wailers Improvisando Jamming Punky Reggae Party
- Van Halen Aint Talkin Bout Love
- Shadows Of Knight Gloria Dark Side
- David Morris Somebody Youd Love To Love
- Gina Harlow And The Cutthroats Live On Stage
- Jorge Ben Fio Maravilha